Help for a recruit wanting to join the 501st?

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
kibosh

Help for a recruit wanting to join the 501st?

Post by kibosh »

Just got back from Maker Faire, and once again, you guys have inspired me. I've picked up numerous pieces over the years for a Tusken Raider and TIE Pilot build. I've done some work here and there, but it's hard to stay motivated with family, work, etc.

If I don't send this out, now, I'm afraid I'll never complete a costume, and get the opportunity to troop with you!

Any of you willing to help me get these projects finished? I think working with you guys would help keep me focused!

TIE Pilot
I have my helmet prepped, and a couple layers of paint, but I'm not happy with it. I'm just not getting the shiny finish I was hoping for with rattle cans. Can anyone suggest a body shop that would paint a helmet? How much should I expect to pay.

What's the word on the Mon Cal flight suits? The price seems right.

I have big feet, so I'm looking for size 13 boots. Any suggestions where I could find them?

Tusken
I have the helmet done. I think. Would love to get some input from approved Tuskens to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I have an inner robe done. Again, I think. Looking for someone to take a look if they'd be so kind.

I have the pieces for the respirator. Just need to sit down and build it.

I have the arm wraps partially done, but need to wrap some boots/shoes.

I know there are other pieces, but I though these would be good starting points.

So, any armor builds coming up or anything like that? Anyone willing to help a newb? :D
ejbdesign

Check out my daily Lego picture at alegoaday.com
Sleg
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9317

Re: Help for a recruit wanting to join the 501st?

Post by Sleg »

If you're coming back to Maker Faire on Sunday bring you tusken stuff. A couple of us tuskens will be there and we can take a look at it for you and give you some feedback on what you need if anything. Do you have a gaffi yet?
I am going to be working on some leg and arm wraps on Sunday BTW.
TK/DZ/BH/TS -9317
501st Legion
Great Lakes Garrison

R2 Builder Club
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

Yeah, it appears you have a Tusken much closer to completion than a TIE pilot at the moment, so finish up the Tusken and start raidin' with us!
kibosh

Post by kibosh »

Sleg wrote:If you're coming back to Maker Faire on Sunday bring you tusken stuff. A couple of us tuskens will be there and we can take a look at it for you and give you some feedback on what you need if anything. Do you have a gaffi yet?
I am going to be working on some leg and arm wraps on Sunday BTW.
I wish I could have made it out again today, but it was demolition day at my house. We're ripping out our deck, and replacing it with concrete. I do have a gaffi stick started as well. As you can see, I bounce around a bit. :D Need help focusing. :oops:
Mr Fett wrote:Yeah, it appears you have a Tusken much closer to completion than a TIE pilot at the moment, so finish up the Tusken and start raidin' with us!
Agreed. Tusken is closer.

I live in the Walled Lake/Commerce Township area for what it's worth.
ejbdesign

Dr Gold
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 6459

Post by Dr Gold »

Tusken might not be as hot outside. :cool: those black TIE fighters couldn't last outside for more than 15 minutes outside at the Maker Faire... that black just soaks up all the heat.
ROCKING THE EMPIRE!
kibosh

Post by kibosh »

I was thinking that too, but the Tusken's dress in thick layers. Seems the perfect choice for winter trooping!
ejbdesign

Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

Tuskens are hot outside in the summer because there's no airflow coming in under the chin like you get with all the Imperial and Fett helmets. You just get a little through the mesh in the eyes and through the mouth hole.

In the fall, they are perfect costumes....like you said about clothing layers. In the summer you can wear shorts under your robes, and in the cold months you can wear long pants and a sweatshirt under the robes. Of all the Star Wars costumes I've worn, Tuskens are the best for changing seasons and under costume clothing choices. :thumbs:
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

When I had my TIE, it wasn't as bad as one would think. The material of the flight suit was pure cotton and much more breathable than solid plastic. I only had one fan in my TIE bucket compared to two in my TD, and I'd say my TIE was cooler in hot weather than my TD is.

AND I had a thick fleece balaclava under my TIE because I didn't own a lycra UA one at the time! :)
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 9241

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

I live in the Walled Lake/Commerce Township area for what it's worth.
I know squat about TIE Pilots, and less about Tuskens, but I live next door in White Lake if I can help out in any way...
kibosh

Post by kibosh »

I may take you up on the offer. Even if it's just helping to fit things together. My friends/family just don't get the obsession with detail and accuracy. :mad:
ejbdesign