To Maul or Opress???

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 52705

To Maul or Opress???

Post by BBC527 »

Hey everyone, while I'm working on my Phase II Clone Trooper and waiting for some things, I thought about my next project. I'm looking at doing a Darth Maul and possible Savage Opress.

I'm looking for a little help with both and wanted to start putting information together on the costumes. Any help on what items are the best and where to get things would be great.

I also know there are not that many Savage Opress's out there, so any information on him would be great for a build.

Thanks everyone, and I can't wait to get started.
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Re: To Maul or Opress???

Post by BBC527 »

I have already checked out the Sith Lords detachment and I'm looking for additional help outside that forum. The more help the better.

Thanks again everyone
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7794

Post by Mowskwoz »

I think Savage Opress would be a lot cooler to do since there are not as many of him out there. But... There is a lot more info and sources for Maul.

It's a toss up. I would do which ever you like more.
GLG Commanding Officer - 2012-2018, 2020–
GLG Captain of the Guard - 2019
ANH Stormtrooper - F.I.S.D. Expert Infantryman
GLB X-Wing Pilot - Shadow 77
Snowtrooper Commander - Thunder Snow Assault Squad
R2 Builder
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

Can I ask how you're built??

I only ask because Opress is a big guy!! Maul is more "normal size". Not that you can't do an Opress if that's what you decide, but to REALLY pull it off, having the right body type is a real bonus.

That being said, either one would be great to have in the area!!! :thumbs:
Dankelzaga
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 60688

Post by Dankelzaga »

Chris is definitely correct relative to the size difference in Maul and Oppress. Having said that and personally knowing Bill....he can definitely pull off Savage :D They grow em big here in Midland.

Bill...I see you coming at me in Opress's get up and that big ole scary vibro blade...I'm getting the heck out of dodge in my X-wing.
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

I really think I'm going to do Savage Opress. I'm in the process of trying to find as much info on him as I can find. I know there is another one out there, I seem him in the large photo taken at Celebration. If anyone has info on him or can point me in the right direction that would be appreciated. I've been told to check out the Flagship Eclipse forum for him, but haven't seen much there. Let me know. I'm going to try and start looking for material for this costume and to make his horns.

Thanks everyone. I'll try and keep everyone informed of my progress.
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

There was an awesome Savage Opress that was in the costume contest with me at CVI. He was from overseas, but I'll look through the photos I have. I know I have at least a couple.
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

Thanks Lumpy, I look forward to the pictures.
drbones2nd
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 6844

Post by drbones2nd »

You know what my opinion is already. Opress would be cool for comicons or say celebration types of events, but for the average troops we do, 99% of the public has no idea the difference between maul or opress so just get ready for everyone to say, hey thats darth maul daddy!! Why is he yellow? Thought maul was red?

I would do Opress as a second or third costume for high level events where there are hard core star wars fans and do Maul or the clone for primary trooping events like ball games and such. Thats a lot of make up time and effort just to be mistaken for maul.

Not too many people of the general public will not know maul, but opress?? Hmmmmmm

Heck, I had no idea who Opress was until I looked him up. :lol:
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 9241

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

I was thinking of doing a Maul myself, since I shave my head already.... Just can't do the required red contacts tho...
And I agree about the notoriety. Star Wars geeks and 8 year olds who watch the Clone Wars will know who Opress is. The rest will be confused.

And no... You don't have to be 8 to watch Clone Wars! Just putting that out there before the you know what storm...
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

Thanks guys, and I do understand about the knowabilty of Opress from the kids and us geeks to the average people. That's why I'll probably go with Maul first and do Opress as a secondary for special events. Plus, once I get my Maul completed, it shouldn't be much to work on Opress.

Thanks everyone, and I continue to look forward to everyone's thoughts on this. I'll also try and keep everyone ip to date on my Maul progress.
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

Finally got my Maul horns in, just need to sand to fit then paint.

Trying to install photo, lets see if this works.

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p59 ... 8e32f8.jpg
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

Started working on casting my head so I can make a stencil for both Maul and Opress.
Waiting for it to dry.
Still waiting!
Thinking about how it will look when it's done!
I'll update more when I pour the mold.
drbones2nd
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by drbones2nd »

Bill,

You are out of control bro!! That is pretty cool. Hope you were able to remove the cast :lol:
G-man
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 3824

Post by G-man »

Hopefully you use an alginate first under the plaster bandages. I did this about 15 years ago, it's a real process. Make sure you use a Hydrostone type product for your positive. It's harder than plaster, gets great detail and is resistant to water.
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

The cast is completed, I just need to smooth it out and fill in any bubble holes.

Once I get that completed I just need to finish the vac table so I can pull a mold to make a stencil for the make-up.

I'm also looking for a little more local help (besides from the Sith Lord Detachment) on the choice of fabric for the costume. All we have around here is Joann's Fabrics. The question I have is what is everyone using. The 501st standard states Black linen, silk, blend, or a fabric with an equivalent appearance and weight.
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

Started working on a simple vac table and frame so I can pull a form from the cast of my face. With that I can make a stencil for the make-up.

Here are some of the supplies for the frame. I've put this together from some of the sites I've looked at.

Pictures of work on the frame. Sorry about the Crayola mat. Use it for the kids, so I thought it would work for me.

A few pictures of the completed frame.

Work on the vac table. Took a piece of 3/4 inch ply and another one of 1/2 and sandwiched in between a few runners of 3/4. Put a good amount of glue and screws together to seal it. On the bottom secured a flush fitting to be able to screw in a fitting for the vacuum. Made sure to center it on the board, and seal.

On the top, marked out the frame and layed out a grid, inch and a half spacing. Then drilled holes at all the crosses. Once done, put foam where the frame will go for sealing purpose.

Just need to get some ABS or another plastic to pull a mold for the stencil.
drbones2nd
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by drbones2nd »

Damn Bill. Did not realize how talented you are! :thumbs:
Dankelzaga
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 60688

Post by Dankelzaga »

Wow!! Just wow! Can't wait to see everything when it's done.
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

Thanks guys, hey if you need something done for the troop, let me know and I kind find a way to do it. Just wait until I get my Clone Armor and start that build too.