442nd WIP

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Re: 442nd WIP

Post by DeafTrooper »

I hear you. Royally screwed up my right side. Didn't notice it until after I cut and glued them and it took me a month to fix them.
CT/ID-7859
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 52705

Post by BBC527 »

On a much better note, the thighs have gone great. Hoping to have the legs done this week so I can start filling in the seams. Then it's on to finishing the chest and back.
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

Had time today with the great weather to put a couple coats of paint on the hands and shoulders.

Also glued up the thighs. Just need to let them dry, then fill in the seams and any other spots tomorrow.
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Nice. Very nice.
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

Ok, was able to get the thighs done this weekend. Check out the pics below.

I was also able to get the shins/calves done. It took some good clamping and then sludge to fill in the seams. I think they turned out good. I just need to finish the spoons and get them fitted in.

Wags

Post by Wags »

I would take ALL the return edge off the inside of your thighs by your um tender area. You will be MUCH more comfy. Just feather it in. If ya want but you will be thankfull.

Everything looks good so far man!!
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

Well, have most of the parts done (just need to finish the chest/back) and wanted to try everything on to see how they fit. After having it all on, I found out where I need to trim some stuff up for a better fit. Need to trim some on the cod (just off the returns). The thighs need to have the returns taken off the top. I also found that I need to take some off the back so I can bend my legs up. I'll try and post a pic of this when I get a trim line drawn.

I also see (after pic was taken) that the butt is on the outside if my back. I know it goes inside, just didn't catch it.
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

Looking good Bill.

I know everyone has their own different skill set, but I think I would take 5 months of latch hooking any day over putting this all together!!!! - but that's just me!!! :lol:
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

NEED HELP!!

I'm having a problem with my thighs hiting my cod when I bend my leg up (like walking up stairs). I'm looking at either trimming the bottom up, so it sits lower, or trim the top down so it gives me a little more between them.

I'm looking at taking about an inch of either side (depending which way I choose). Let me know what you veterans think would be a good thing to do do I'm able to walk and bend a little better!
Thanks
Voss
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 5415

Post by Voss »

I agree with wags use superglue and get yourself some accelerator.
"You can run, but you'll only die tired. --Boba Fett"
Voss
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 5415

Post by Voss »

Trim the top never the bottom
"You can run, but you'll only die tired. --Boba Fett"
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

Was out tonight looking around and came across these. I know they are not the nonex flight gloves, but could they work?

DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

Not sure, but I don't think you can have that gray web design on them. I think it has to be all black. I didn't use the flight gloves either. I used some neoprene gloves I found at Meijers made by Wells-Lamont. I'm thinking of getting flight gloves, though. The ones I have now, the gauntlet isn't long enough and keeps coming out from under my forearm armor.
CT/ID-7859
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

See if you can find similar gloves without the texturing on the hands.
Wags

Post by Wags »

I agree with Rip. plus the faunts are Waaaaay cheaper than UA.
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

Ok, it's been a few days since I updated this build so let's see if I can catch up.

Spent a lot of the weekend working on finishing the legs by sanding off the sludge and smoothing out the transitions. Also finished the biceps and forearm, just sanding it down to get ready for paint.

Also worked on cutting and shaping the elbows and knees. I just need to cut and attach the straps on the elbows. Once I get that done I can work on paint and padding.

Plus, I made a few purchase off ebay this weekend, that came today. I purchased a black nylon balaclava for my head and neck. Also, a set of black nomex flight gloves. These should be better than the others I posted last time.

Now I just need to work on my belt and the chest/back.
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

It sucks when you put your first few coats of paint on then see you need to fill in more holes and refix some seams.
I looked at if I could just hide some of it with weathering, but the more I looked at it the more I knew I couldn't hide it all. With that in mind, I had to redo the thighs and fill several holes. On the forearms I had to basically re-sludge the seams to make then less visible. Also found out I had to fill in the seams again on one of the biceps.

Man, a lot comes out when you start to paint.
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

For filling in the small holes, it's easier to just use Bondo spot filler, rather than sludge it again.
CT/ID-7859
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

Bondo spot filler is what I use for the small stuff and feathering out the edges. I only use the sludge for filling in major gaps/seams.
BBC527
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by BBC527 »

I worked on the belt I got with Kevin's kit this weekend. It took a while to trim out and fit the boxes along with the detonator.

However, as I tried to follow the pics from the web on how to do it, and get it to fit I screwed it up. Just check out the pics below.

I'm trying to come up with a way to fix it and I may have a plan. I may be able to extend it using the space behind the boxes and all the extra cut material I have. I may also need to cut some wedge shapes in the edge to help it flex shape (then patch and sludge). I have the vision in my head.
Any other ideas from you guys besides buying another belt?

Thanks