Boot darkening

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Boot darkening

Post by Lumpy »

I need to darken my Anakin boots. They are not real leather, so I want to make sure I use the right stuff. I have a tutorial that shows how to weather these same boots I have using Liquitex acrylic paint. Can I use that and just cover the whole boot with it, or is shoe polish good enough.

I want to make sure it's not something that is going to rub off on the costume while it's stored either.

Any advice is appreciated.
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Re: Boot darkening

Post by Mr Fett »

If you saw a tutorial using the exact same boots you have, I'd say follow along with whatever they did.
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Lumpy »

That's kind of what I'm thinking, but the tutorial was for weathering. I just want to make sure I can use the same paint - just to darken the whole boot.

I'm thinking I'll just take the boot into Michaels with me (that's where they sell the paint) and see what the ladies there say.
Tiernan
Great Lakes Base Member
Great Lakes Base Member

Post by Tiernan »

Might want to try shoe polish or calling a shoe store for a place that dye shoes. They might be ale to give you advice. If I remember correctly from working at JoAnns, you don't wanna use acrylic for leather or leather like material, at least not regular acrylic it'll crack. There should be something out there for leather and vinyl material. Because they aren't actual leather I'm not sure if Eco-Flo would work or not as well as ANGELUS.

If you can't find help at Micheals and you're ever up at the JoAnns in Canton, talk to a lady named Gail, she's usually there in the afternoons, sometimes in the morning.
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Lumpy »

Started with this...

And am going to this...

Should do what they are looking for I think. If I get daring, I have a lighter brown I will try to add some weathering.
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

Looking good! :thumbs:
CT/ID-7859
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Lumpy »

Going to take a couple of coats, but that's the only thing they say I need to do. :thumbs:
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

What did you end up doing?
CT/ID-7859
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Lumpy »

I used the acrylic paint like in the weathering tutorial and just put it on the whole boot with a natural sponge.
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Lumpy »

Here we go......
The photo is not as good as the last one, but I can't be too picky when my 7 year old is the only one who will help take pictures for me.