Sheet ABS source

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Deadeye
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 61673

Sheet ABS source

Post by Deadeye »

It was suggested on one of my C-3PO builder groups that the arms that are available might be challenging to make work and that they are pretty simple and can be built to size pretty easily. After thinking about this and looking them over in a little more detail, I'm pretty sure I can swing it with the right materials. Most of the detailed stuff--pistons and various greeblies--are already available separately as 3D prints, though I think I'll try my hand at modeling them and finding a source. That only leaves the "sleeves" that are basically just conical tubes with some exterior details that can be glued on layers. Looks totally feasible and would allow me to do something in the year I'm waiting on the parts I can't make myself.

So my thinking is that I can make templates from poster board to ensure the fit and then turn those into something robust and paintable--I was think ABS since I'm familiar with it from my TK and TB. If someone out there has ideas of other materials, let me know but this seems reasonable. I can bend it with my heat gun, I have ABS cement to attach the layers and I think it should be sufficiently rigid. So I'm thinking 1/8" sheets, probably 2'x2' or 2'x4', and I figure I'd get 16-24 square feet to be safe. I can buy them on eBay but will pay quite a bit for shipping.

Anyone have a good, local source in the metro area?

Thanks.
mbone
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 60506

Re: Sheet ABS source

Post by mbone »

I don't know any local sources, but you might try contacting Mike at Trooperbay and see if he has sheets that size. He does have smaller pieces for sale in his online store but they're more like 6 inches by maybe a foot and a half. Good thick stuff, and he usually ships quickly.
"Uh, no disrespect intended sir, but whaddya mean, 'If it's locked move on to the next one.' Dontcha think locking the door's the first thing they're gonna do?"
Deadeye
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Deadeye »

Thanks for the recommendation. I was kind of hoping I could find something where I didn't have to pay shipping. Even though they're lightweight, I'm assuming the large size is always going to make them expensive to ship. Still, I might check with him before I order off eBay. Always better to support a company we know over some random eBayer.

Thanks again.
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

Laird Plastics in Warren would have anything you need.

http://detroit.lairdplastics.com/
Deadeye
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Deadeye »

Perfect. Thanks very much for the link. I'll make contact with them and see what they can do.

:thumbs: