FX armor refit problems

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Re: FX armor refit problems

Post by Zachg56 »

10/04/09..lets see that's a Friday....hm...

Well it depends...if I go to the earlier physics class which ends at 13:30...err I mean 1:30, chances are that if my math is right....I could get there around...I dunno 5:00-5:45 plus or minus an hour depending on traffic.
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Zachg56 wrote:10/04/09..lets see that's a Friday....hm...

Well it depends...if I go to the earlier physics class which ends at 13:30...err I mean 1:30, chances are that if my math is right....I could get there around...I dunno 5:00-5:45 plus or minus an hour depending on traffic.
Well that is not going to work. I have to be work at 8:00pm for some system updates. :?
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

hm...I can possibly work something out were I can get my roommate to get the physics notes and turn in my HW for that week...thus allowing me to try leaving around....wait....10/04/09 is Good Friday right?

If it is I'll probably leave as soon as I wake up....not gonna go to class on a holy day....which also means I'd turn everything in early....so...

I could try getting around...12-2:00
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Zachg56 wrote:hm...I can possibly work something out were I can get my roommate to get the physics notes and turn in my HW for that week...thus allowing me to try leaving around....wait....10/04/09 is Good Friday right?

If it is I'll probably leave as soon as I wake up....not gonna go to class on a holy day....which also means I'd turn everything in early....so...

I could try getting around...12-2:00
Noon would be best to get the most done. It should take less than 2 hours to get here.
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

I'll leave early then to try to get around noon then...
hopefully all goes a..everything works out...
not gonna mess it up inviting murphy's law
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

tried to get out of my IAH class....no such luck..teacher is being an ass about it....even though it's a recitation...and Good Friday to boot.

so I'll get out of class around noon, hopefully can get to you place before 3
Darthstorm
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 0191

Post by Darthstorm »

Don't know if it's too late for any additional information on the refit process. When I initially assembled my Movie FX (MFX) armor, I found it really helpful if you need to bend any pieces to fit better, to use hot boiling water. Trust me on this. I had brand new armor and was worried of warping the armor with heating (ie- blowtorch), since you can't get even heating of a specific part with a blowtorch. It turns out that when a specific piece is held in boiling water it heats the plastic evenly. I tested out different duration times of the plastic to the boiling water. I found that the time varied depending on obviously the thickness of the ABS attempting to be modified. The thicker the piece the longer it needed to be held in the water. It's always better to er on the side of caution and start with shorter times and increase as needed to achieve the desired degree of movement of the plastic. One critical note to keep in mind. Whatever piece is being modified, you will physically have to hold it in the water without it letting touch the sides, or bottom of the container your boiling the water in, since this will obviously cause a specific hot spot to the ABS and leave you with less than desirable marks on your armor. After you have heated it and it is mildly moveable, you will have ~ 5-30 seconds to get some movement of the piece being modified before it begins to harden again. Most likely you will have to do multiple exposures to get the desired shape your looking for. It will not affect the outer finish of the armor, unless there is some sort of color scheme already applied to the armor. In this case it should be assumed and expected that the paint job will be altered. As for trimming, I found a dremel works exceptionally well, especially the sanding discs. Remember always go slow and take off just a little bit at a time - refit - trim - refit - trim - etc.....until your satisfied.
Enjoy,
Hope this helps.
Brendon J. Ewers
"Darthstorm"
TK/SL/CC0191
Great Lakes Garrison
501st Legion

"It's them...Blast-em"
"Execute Order-66. As you wish my Lord"
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7794

Post by Mowskwoz »

Any updates? Did you make it out to Ripcode's place to work on your armor?
GLG Commanding Officer - 2012-2018, 2020–
GLG Captain of the Guard - 2019
ANH Stormtrooper - F.I.S.D. Expert Infantryman
GLB X-Wing Pilot - Shadow 77
Snowtrooper Commander - Thunder Snow Assault Squad
R2 Builder
Zachg56
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by Zachg56 »

Nope...had to go do some stuff for my aunt...