Biker Scout WIP

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Cinna

Biker Scout WIP

Post by Cinna »

I have slowly and steadily been working on my costume and documenting my progress (http://www.raymond5.com/cinna/html/the_helmet.html). I have a flight suit/coveralls on order from a local military supply store, but have been concentrating most of my efforts on the helmet at the moment. I removed the flimsy gray plastic eye cover from the visor and have exposed the two eye holes. My question, how much of that needs to be cut away before I cut and insert the new eye covering? The instructions I have been following say to cut out that entire inner lip that the gray stuff was glued to. I would like to confirm that before making such a major alteration (especially one that cannot be undone).
I would like to get the cutting done before Maker Fair and then work on reassembling the helmet there.

Also, on the snout, do I just need to replace that bottom circle with an aerator or is there more that needs to be done?
The CRL just says to replace with an aerator but I have noticed that there are replacement pieces available for that entire gray section of the snout.
~Cinna~
Biker Scout: 70% complete
Cinna

Re: Biker Scout WIP

Post by Cinna »

I picked up my flight suit yesterday and it fits nicely. A little long in the sleeves and legs, but I have the feeling that the next size down will be too snug or too short through the torso. I tried on the cummerbund with it and I think I will be doing some serious tailoring. :) Being short rules!

Also, I took the "eyes" out of my helmet and started making the new lens.
I'm thinking of using white sugru to attach the lens to the inside of the helmet. There just doesn't seem to be enough contact area for other adhesives.

I welcome all feedback. I am new to this whole costume building thing and I swear I spend 10 hours researching for every half hour of actual work I do. If I am making any mistakes, someone please let me know.
~Cinna~
syntax
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 5480

Post by syntax »

I think it looks good so far. But I'm biased and unfamiliar with Biker Scouts ;)
TK 100% (EIB status: Approved 12/15/2010 EIB#140)
"Stak" Lightning Squad Animated ARF Trooper: Approved 4/14/2012
Darth Nihilus (KOTOR): 83.7%
Lumpy
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7189

Post by Lumpy »

Paula,
You're right, the cumberbund doesn't need to come up nearly that high. My recommendation to you would be to wait to tailor it until yor chest and back armor are done. The bund only needs to come up a couple inches higher than the bottom of the chest armor.

As far as the lens goes, a lot of people just use hot glue to attach it so it's easy to remove if needed.

Keep up the good work. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

Another tip when gluing in the visor. Don't glue it all the way around. Just glue the top and some down the sides. Let it hang straight down and not 100% flush with the bottom. This way you have a little slit of ventillation and people can't really see it if installed well.
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

You might already know this, but I would suggest smoothing down the edge of the visor before you put it in. I have seen some cut noses from having sharp edges. :(
Cinna

Post by Cinna »

Wags wrote:You might already know this, but I would suggest smoothing down the edge of the visor before you put it in. I have seen some cut noses from having sharp edges. :(
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been working on filing the edges into a more nicely rounded shape. It takes forever using our finishing files though. I was also considering lining the edges with a thin coating of sugru (I love that stuff) to help protect my face from the edges and/or trimming the edges in tighter once I get the lens in, so there isn't so much overhang.
~Cinna~
Cinna

Post by Cinna »

Mr Fett wrote:Another tip when gluing in the visor. Don't glue it all the way around. Just glue the top and some down the sides. Let it hang straight down and not 100% flush with the bottom. This way you have a little slit of ventillation and people can't really see it if installed well.

Thanks! I never would have thought of that.
~Cinna~
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

All you need to remember if doing that method is leave a little more visor material on the bottom when cutting the visor to shape, so it'll hang below the opening a little more so people looking from the side can't see in.
Silverfox
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 4866

Post by Silverfox »

I put a piece of foam in the snout area under the visor. It keeps your nose from being sliced up and it helps keep your bucket from wiggling around.
Todd Letts
TB/TS 4866
Thunder Snow Assault Squad
Cinna

Post by Cinna »

Update: 9/5/11
I have as much done on the helmet as I can get done at the moment. Currently waiting on the decals for it and then I think it will be done... I think.

New lens and new aerator attached...

Inside of the helmet...

My new cummerbund (did most of the cutting and sewing Friday) scaled down for me...

Finished my pouches yesterday, scaled down to size...

Now, I need to find a belt that will fit me and make the boots and I think it will be complete.
~Cinna~