fan wiring system

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

fan wiring system

Post by DeafTrooper »

trying to install fans in my bucket. i know this may sound like a stupid question, but i suck when it comes to electronics, so bear with me.

i have 2 12-volt computer fans and 2 hook-ups for 9 volt batteries. the fans will be running on 6 volts less than they should be. is it safe to add another 9 volt battery, with it being 3 volts over or will i blow them?
CT/ID-7859
Sleg
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9317

Re: fan wiring system

Post by Sleg »

This is what I use...

You can get them at the Shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062251

$2.59 a piece.

They hold eight AA batteries at 1.5 V per battery for a total of 12 V.
They also have that 9 V type plug that you can use your hook ups.
TK/DZ/BH/TS -9317
501st Legion
Great Lakes Garrison

R2 Builder Club
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

DeafTrooper wrote:trying to install fans in my bucket. i know this may sound like a stupid question, but i suck when it comes to electronics, so bear with me.

i have 2 12-volt computer fans and 2 hook-ups for 9 volt batteries. the fans will be running on 6 volts less than they should be. is it safe to add another 9 volt battery, with it being 3 volts over or will i blow them?
It's okay; you can overdrive the fans by 3 volts (I've done it often enough when I had my TK). The only downside will be noise (well, for those who aren't hard-of-hearing, that is ;)). Run the wires in series (red to black, red to black) and remember to cover up and insulate any exposed wiring after you're done soldering. A short-circuit inside a helmet while you're wearing it can be a bad thing. :)
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

cool! thanks, guys! :thumbs: i tested out the fans i got with my hearing aid on and they were very quiet. even had the wife talk to me while wearing it and was surprised that i could understand her with them running (between my hearing and her speech impediment, conversations can be a little difficult, so it was the perfect test). thinking of adding a 3rd fan, (2 small ones blowing air out through the aerators and 1 big one blowing air in through the mouth). originally wanted 1 blowing in through the aerator but when i tested it, i couldn't feel anything. got much better results by having it sit on the mouth.
CT/ID-7859
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

I run 2 9v batteries to one 12v fan and I dont have a problem with burning up the fans. And thats been 5yrs now..