back and chest joints

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

back and chest joints

Post by DeafTrooper »

can they overlap or do they absolutely have to butt up against each other? i tried a test fitting today and the cut i made doesn't line up right when i insert the shoulder straps.
CT/ID-7859
Wags
Garrison Armor Consultant
Legion ID: 7195

Re: back and chest joints

Post by Wags »

They need to but up. If you overlap them, tape them, then pencil a straight line down them and cut through both pieces of plastic at the same time, while they are overlapped, then you will be a straight edge and they will but up together. Hope that makes sense. :mrgreen:
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

Wags wrote:They need to but up. If you overlap them, tape them, then pencil a straight line down them and cut through both pieces of plastic at the same time, while they are overlapped, then you will be a straight edge and they will but up together. Hope that makes sense. :mrgreen:
that's what i originally did. someone on ctn mentioned that i had it on wrong. for some stupid reason, i thought the butt piece was supposed to be on the outside of the back. tried it on again the right way. still had a hard time getting it to line up right. had the wife try and help but this is as good as we could get it.

how strict is the 501st when it comes to these joints? are you allowed a little bit of leeway? i'm starting to think that i may have cut these down too much. they keep overlapping or leave gaps. also, can someone post some pics on how the velcro gets attached to the back/chest pieces? i have tried 2 different ways of doing it, with awful results.
CT/ID-7859
Wags
Legion ID: 7195

Post by Wags »

Ugh.. I see the problem, but it is sooooo hard to explain over the web.. you are soo close, If I could spend like 5 min with you , you would be like... OHHHH CRAP.. OK... I ran into the same thing with mine.. um.. let me see what I can do about maybe a sunday armor party.. I will get back to you. There is a handfull of people in need of help right now, and I have been working 70+hrs a week right now so I have been busy... give me a sec... :mrgreen:
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

ok, but give me about 2 weeks notice, if you could please. i work the weekends and would need to turn in a day off request to my boss. i get 2 personal days per year and have been saving them for just such an occasion. :D

yah, wags, i know the feeling. i had only 1 8-hour day last week and all the rest were 12-hour days. and my boss was on vacation and whoever was subbing for him screwed up and had scheduled me for a 6 day week. straightened that out REAL quick! LOL and last summer, we had a hard time keeping new employees. ended up working 78 hours the last week of august.

one of the guys on ctn mentioned he had a piano hinge on one side and magnets on the other. I'm thinking of going that route. seems like it would make things easier that way, especially when getting dressed without help.
http://forum.clonetroopers.net/index.ph ... opic=15186
CT/ID-7859