Armor RS prop master vs theT/MC

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
Brewski
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 11105

Armor RS prop master vs theT/MC

Post by Brewski »

Hi all,
The past two days I have been doing extensive research on kits to build, not buying right away as I am still researching but was curious of the quality difference between the RS and T/MC armors. The RS seems to be the top of the line armor and one I am leaning towards is this a good decision ?? I am trying to work with a starting budget around 1500 if not a bit more. The only thing that gets me from the RS is that it comes from the UK so I am not sure what to expect through customs and shipping across seas.

Thanks,
Greg
"Brewski" TK/TS/TB 11105

ImageImageImage
Brewski
GLG Member
GLG Member

Re: Armor RS prop master vs theT/MC

Post by Brewski »

I actually got a hold of RS prop masters and got my shipping questions answered, and this seems to be the company I am leaning towards buying a kit.
"Brewski" TK/TS/TB 11105

ImageImageImage
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
Legion ID: 0542

Post by Mr Fett »

RS is the top of the line Stormtrooper stuff, because it’s basically a first generation pull off a screen used ANH costume…..complete with all the “messed up crap” that the real suits had. It’s the closest you will find to a real movie Stormtrooper.

You can get them in ABS plastic (milky white, like the movie suits) or in PVC plastic…which is thinner grade than their ABS so flexes more (which TK’s are liking for trooping purposes), and the PVC is the most naturally glossy looking TK armor I’ve ever seen in person. So, depends if you want most authentic to the movies (ABS) or “idealized pretty” in PVC.
Brewski
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Brewski »

Again I have been incontact with them and the price is 915 Euros. This includes the strap kit as well. I am still working on my measurements to send in. As with the PVC vs ABS, does the PVC hold up as well as ABS ? I like how it would have more shine than the ABS. At the same time I can always polish the ABS as well. I might be making this purchase in the next few days (I have been watching loads of videos online and tons of pointers on both Forums). Again thanks for all the help thus far.
"Brewski" TK/TS/TB 11105

ImageImageImage
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

From a thread on FISD about the differences.....here's 2 kits from RS. PVC ultra gloss on left, normal ABS on right:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8236/8568 ... 2c86_k.jpg

In normal daylight, the PVC is so shiny I don't think you even really have to polish it. Here's what the RS website said about materials:

Plastic Choice
We offer the armour in a choice of ABS or PVC thermoplastics. Both have individual properties that work well with the Stormtrooper Armour application.

ABS.
The original plastic choice from 1976. Perhaps the better choice for replica prop collectors due to this fact, but more than able to troop at any event. Our ABS plastics are bespoke batches created to our specification to match the original suit as closely as possible. The material is not acrylic capped. It is natural glossy ABS and will age as the original suit have. Our ABS as the original is an off white shade.

PVC.
This plastic is brilliant white and high gloss, much more how we ‘imagine’ a trooper should look than perhaps in reality the props did. PVC is a more durable and robust material than ABS. This coupled with the pure white high gloss could make this a better choice for a harder wearing trooping suit.
crow
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1491

Post by crow »

Rs looks incredible. I've actually ordered and received a chest piece and shoulder bells only.
Be warned that, as stated, these come with all the imperfections and asymmetry of the original suits. I can tell you from first hand experience the shoulder bells are very asymmetrical and are quite narrow...and that's coming from a guy with skinny arms!
Fantastic stuff...just be aware it's full of beautifully quirky surprises. :thumbs:
Btw I received my pieces in high gloss PVC and they were breathtaking.
--Scott
Brewski
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Brewski »

Thanks for the info, my mind has now been changed to getting the PVC. The only thing I am still worried about is getting the sizing right. RS did send me a size chart, but again being a relatively small guy I am looking at how to do my measurements right. I am searching FISD right now for a link as well.
"Brewski" TK/TS/TB 11105

ImageImageImage
Mr Fett
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop
TOD, Roster & Forum Cop

Post by Mr Fett »

The original ANH Stormtroopers were guys in the 5'7"-5'10" range and like 150-170 pounds or so.
Brewski
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Brewski »

Thanks for the info. Talking with a few others on FISD I am looking at doing the PVC for the shine and extra flex. Not ordering just yet, still researching a bit and waiting for payday ;) I guess this question depends on the person but do most order everything at once or the armor and basic pieces and then the rest as you build ??
"Brewski" TK/TS/TB 11105

ImageImageImage
crow
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1491

Post by crow »

Everything, as in, armor and all strapping?
Certainly you'd order all the armor parts together. As for the strapping, if ur ordering from them I'd do it all at once.
These guys are so busy, you might not hear from them in forever...get 'er done all at once. That's my advice.
--Scott
Brewski
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Brewski »

I do plan on ordering from RS, but another question comes to mind that I did not think about till now. Do the kits come with Lens for the helmet or is that a separate Buy ??
"Brewski" TK/TS/TB 11105

ImageImageImage
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7794

Post by Mowskwoz »

Starkiller1218 wrote:I do plan on ordering from RS, but another question comes to mind that I did not think about till now. Do the kits come with Lens for the helmet or is that a separate Buy ??
Not sure at RS does but other sellers send lens material with the helmets. I would ask that question to RS.
GLG Commanding Officer - 2012-2018, 2020–
GLG Captain of the Guard - 2019
ANH Stormtrooper - F.I.S.D. Expert Infantryman
GLB X-Wing Pilot - Shadow 77
Snowtrooper Commander - Thunder Snow Assault Squad
R2 Builder
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

Mowskwoz wrote:
Starkiller1218 wrote:I do plan on ordering from RS, but another question comes to mind that I did not think about till now. Do the kits come with Lens for the helmet or is that a separate Buy ??
Not sure at RS does but other sellers send lens material with the helmets. I would ask that question to RS.
If not, all you have to do is cut down a welding shield.
CT/ID-7859
Crimson
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1800

Post by Crimson »

For accuracy, green welding face shields.

For long hours of trooping that doesn't put a green tint on everything you're seeing (and not under movie-production conditions), or the god-awful hero-type bubble lenses, a simple clear dirt-bike or construction-safety face shield, then apply limo tint. Cut one long strip that covers both eye holes (not two individual lenses) and securely attach.
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

For my clone, I just used a smoked motorcycle helmet lens. Don't see why it wouldn't work with a TK.
CT/ID-7859
Mowskwoz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 7794

Post by Mowskwoz »

They will need to be flat green lens unless he is going for the "Hero" configuration. Then he will need bubble smoke lens.
GLG Commanding Officer - 2012-2018, 2020–
GLG Captain of the Guard - 2019
ANH Stormtrooper - F.I.S.D. Expert Infantryman
GLB X-Wing Pilot - Shadow 77
Snowtrooper Commander - Thunder Snow Assault Squad
R2 Builder
Brewski
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by Brewski »

I Ordered a Helmet kit from RS a little bit back and they stated it came with everything. Once it comes in I will be working on it and posting pics when I am done. Thanks for all the help thus far and I will keep everyone posted as I work.
"Brewski" TK/TS/TB 11105

ImageImageImage