Obi-ron's TK building project - ESB

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
crow
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1491

Re: Obi-ron's TK building project - ESB

Post by crow »

Obi-Ron wrote:Question about the snaps. Is it best to use industrial snaps (I know they're harder to snap on and off, but would provide more security), or do any of you Troopers use regular snaps and have had no problems with them?
I used "heavy duty" snaps from Joann fabrics :thumbs:
--Scott
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member
Legion ID: 82611

Post by Obi-Ron »

This is Ron - I was an aspiring member as an ESB Stormtrooper, but I've had some injuries and school issues (I am a teacher) that have kept me from continuing my outfit... the biggest one is that I am a dope when it comes to building things, and I am really intimidated by this project. I am back into dedicating myself to finishing this summer. I've heard there are "building parties" or the like, and I was wondering if there is anything like that going on. Any advice for such a doofus?
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 9241

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

Armor parties happen from time to time, usually in conjunction with an upcoming event. They will get posted just like everything else. Or, you could host one yourself for probably the cost of beer. Where abouts are you located?
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

Hmm, interesting idea. I live in Royal Oak - a suburb of Detroit about 20 minutes north of downtown.
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

Familiar with it. Used to live in the Campbell/Hilton area.
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

Is there a big difference between the ANH and ESB trooper? I was considering trying for the ANH, just because of sentimental reasons, it's my favorite movie. Plus, there are better looks at them from the film to help make it more canon.
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

A few, not many.

ANH:
Grey frown
ANH handplates
Holster attached on left permanently attached

ESB:
Black frown
ESB/snow trooper handplates
Holster on right attached with loops
Slightly different number of tube stripes on helmet
ESB troopers kick ass over ANH (says an ESB TK)

E-11 differs between the two as well.

That is more or less it.
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

I am slowly, but poorly, working on the ESB-TK suit. I have a question about the order in which to build. It appears as if the upper leg armor fit may depend on how the mid section and cod piece fit. Should I form the mid section and cod piece first before the legs? n0c00lgamertag has helped out a lot, maybe you can answer :)
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

The thight pieces are going to go together how they go together regardless of whether you do the front of the armor before hand or not. What you will have have to do most likely is trim up the cod piece area when you do your fittings to eliviate what is known as "armor bite". A very real and annoying situation where areas are pinched where the armor pieces meet. I had to trim mine in exactly that area. I did the extemities before I touched the torso. That was just me.
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

Sorry for all these questions, n0c00lgamertag, but I have another. The cover strip for the butt join on the thighs - is it 20mm wide? That's what the tutorial said, but I have 15mm strips on my arms. Is this correct?
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

Obi-Ron wrote:Sorry for all these questions, n0c00lgamertag, but I have another. The cover strip for the butt join on the thighs - is it 20mm wide? That's what the tutorial said, but I have 15mm strips on my arms. Is this correct?
Ow, you got me on that one. I know my thigh cover strips are bigger than any up top, but by how much I don't know. I seem to remember doing mine in inch measurements too, not metric, so that one I can't answer for sure...
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

OK, well that's good enough for me. The link I am using for the tutorials is from the 501st site, and references canon requirements, so I think I'll be good.

Honestly, the reason I am taking so long is due to my lack of confidence in being even remotely handy, and nervous about ruining my outfit. I am SUCH a HUGE nerd fan of Star Wars since I was five years old and saw ANH for the first time, I want to make it right. I guess there's one way to find out.

Tomorrow, it's back to work on the legs, and I am determined to finish by Halloween.

Thanks!!!
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper
n0c00lgamertag
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)

Post by n0c00lgamertag »

Obi-Ron wrote: Honestly, the reason I am taking so long is due to my lack of confidence in being even remotely handy, and nervous about ruining my outfit.
Don't let that be your hang up. You really can't screw it up to the point that it can't be fixed. If something gets really messed up (which it shouldn't) you simply get a replacement piece. I put mine together in a few weeks with no previous model building experience. Follow the tutorials and keep chugging along.
Obi-Ron
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Obi-Ron »

OK, it's been quite a while since I got my armor, and I've been hesitant to build because I'm so not handy. However, my neighborhood suffered major flood damage, and my work bench was ruined. After cleaning up, I am trying to get back into building.
Ron Zill
TK-82611
ANH Stunt Stormtrooper