Boot opinions for TIE Pilot

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
stasz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 60609

Boot opinions for TIE Pilot

Post by stasz »

Jackboots/Knobelbechers are proving to be hard to find in my size and price range. I've got a Sears gift card sitting around, so I thought I'd check out some Engineer boots for my TIE project.

I'm hoping for some input on a couple pairs of boots from any of our Pilots and of course Mr. Code :)

Going off discussions on the JRS forum, both pairs would need to have the bottom strap/buckle removed.

The first is a 13" with a pretty aggressive tread.
Not sure if this is acceptable:Image

The second is 16", with a more subtle tread:Image

Both appear to have a wedge cutout above/behind the top strap with elastic in it.

Are either of these a viable option once appropriately modded, or do I continue the hunt? Thanks y'all.
[image redacted by Resistance forces]
Majafu
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 90773

Re: Boot opinions for TIE Pilot

Post by Majafu »

I would keep looking. German Jack boots are the most accurate but expensive and sometimes hard to find. Try looking for engineer boots. That's what I did. Had to remove the bottom buckle was all to get them approved. A top buckle is okay providing it is no larger than an inch thick. Also look for a pair that has a flat sole and a rounded toe.
Matthew Furtah TI-90773
stasz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by stasz »

Thanks, Majafu!

These are actually from a google search result for engineer boots. A lot of the others that I've seen have pressed emblems or crazy strap/ring things going on.

I'm still on the hunt for something in a Knobelbecher that will fit, but I'm trying to get a plan B...
It sounds like boots are the tough part for a lot of guys. Got my bucket and gloves en route and I'm going to do my own flightsuit. No rush, but my quasi-target is to have it at least wearable by Cherry Con next year.

I might be picking your brain here and there, Brother. Thanks again :cheers:
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

My nephew wants to join but I know finding any kind of boot will be though for him, as he wears a size 15! LOL
CT/ID-7859
stasz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by stasz »

DeafTrooper wrote:My nephew wants to join but I know finding any kind of boot will be though for him, as he wears a size 15! LOL
Yowsa! Hey, if he builds a Scout he might have an easier time finding regular work boots in his size for the base boot, then he can builds the Scout boots off that.
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Post by DeafTrooper »

I will keep that in mind. He was looking to do either a Jedi or a republic commando.
CT/ID-7859
Sparra
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 28288

Post by Sparra »

Believe it or not I found two pairs of boots at the Goodwill outlet in Grandville. All leather and should have no problem with being accepted. Had to cut off the strap on one pair across the top of foot. Only paid a few dollars for them!!! Should be great for the Tie Pilot. :D
Time waits for no one. Carry on.
stasz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by stasz »

Sparra wrote:Believe it or not I found two pairs of boots at the Goodwill outlet in Grandville. All leather and should have no problem with being accepted. Had to cut off the strap on one pair across the top of foot. Only paid a few dollars for them!!! Should be great for the Tie Pilot. :D
Nice find! I ended up going with the top pair in my original post. Cut off the bottom strap and filed the logos of the top buckles which actually worked out well since they have a "brushed" look much like the belt buckle will.
Sparra
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 28288

Post by Sparra »

Glad it worked out well for you. :)
Time waits for no one. Carry on.