Cracking Paint Job + Left on Read

General discussion forum open to all registered members.
Mauvais

Cracking Paint Job + Left on Read

Post by Mauvais »

I've been working on my Padawan Obi-Wan build for the last six months and had it completed and ready for submission, but during the last guest troop I attended (Michigan Comic Con) I really messed up my boots. They were painted with one layer of acrylic paint mixed with a latex medium and I thought they'd be good to go, but the paint cracked and peeled away as I walked throughout the con. Total bummer! I have no idea how to fix this. I thought the boots looked very nice, but now I'm stuck. The boots are faux leather boots with added straps cut from upholstery leather. (My build thread is in the RL Forums under "TPM Obi-Wan WIP")

I am currently living in the UK and nobody from the Elstree Base has replied to my emails, private messages or forum posts about guest trooping and helping as non-costume support. Any suggestions are welcome, at this point I am extremely burnt out and frustrated at waiting three months for a PM response about getting involved. Is this common? Should I stick to trooping in the US?
Terrell78
GLG Member (Reserve)
GLG Member (Reserve)
Legion ID: 1787

Re: Cracking Paint Job + Left on Read

Post by Terrell78 »

No idea how it will work on faux leather and I've heard some leather products will melt faux leather, but for real leather Fiebing's Leather Dye is hard to beat, but it smells terrible until it dries.
Mana

Post by Mana »

If you haven’t figured it out yet I used angelus brand leather paint on all my leather and faux leather/pleather (sometimes even just fabric) goods. It doesn’t crack or come off and flexes with the boot :]
TLJ Hero/Battle Rey
Jakku Rey
Resistance Rey
Seventh Sister
Jedi Leia
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Hi Bea!

When will you be back to the US?
Mauvais

Post by Mauvais »

Terrell78 wrote:No idea how it will work on faux leather and I've heard some leather products will melt faux leather, but for real leather Fiebing's Leather Dye is hard to beat, but it smells terrible until it dries.
Thank you for this suggestion, I'm definitely going to look for this stuff!
Mauvais

Post by Mauvais »

Mana wrote:If you haven’t figured it out yet I used angelus brand leather paint on all my leather and faux leather/pleather (sometimes even just fabric) goods. It doesn’t crack or come off and flexes with the boot :]

Hey, thank you so much for the suggestion, I've never even heard of that brand. I'm going to do some shopping around and see if I can't find some here!
Mauvais

Post by Mauvais »

Ripcode wrote:Hi Bea!

I'll be back in March! Also going to Celebration Saturday only. Not sure if I'll have anything finished to wear by that time but Liz's Ahsoka is looking bomb. :thumbs:
Ripcode
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 9296

Post by Ripcode »

Mauvais wrote:
Ripcode wrote:Hi Bea!

I'll be back in March! Also going to Celebration Saturday only. Not sure if I'll have anything finished to wear by that time but Liz's Ahsoka is looking bomb. :thumbs:
Awesome! Looking forward to your return and you trooping with us again! :D