Shadow Trooper Build

Ask about costumes and props here. Please read the FAQs first before asking questions -- your question may have already been answered!
LeonardTheTurtle

Shadow Trooper Build

Post by LeonardTheTurtle »

Hi there. I'm pretty new to this and I've been wanting to join the 501st for awhile. I've been doing my research and one costume that interests me the most is the Shadow Trooper. I found a complete set here: https://www.stormtrooper-costumes.com/2 ... _Hope.html
I'm curious how accurate this is. It comes with everything including the blaster. Thanks!
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter
Legion ID: 7859

Re: Shadow Trooper Build

Post by DeafTrooper »

That web site sucks. Stay away from ebay, amazon, etsy and just about most web sites that sell that stuff. Most of it is garbage or the people are scammers. Just about all you need can be found on the forums here: http://www.501stspecopsdet.net/
CT/ID-7859
LeonardTheTurtle

Would you be able to elaborate on what makes it garbage? Is it the fitting, authenticity, etc? Or is it overpriced for the quality?
stasz
GLG Member
GLG Member
Legion ID: 60609

Post by stasz »

Welcome Leonard!

I'm the Garrison Membership Liaison here in Michigan (the guy who reviews and approves costumes).

Yeah, unfortunately even at a quick glance I see some issues with that armor that would prevent it from being approved. Another concern I have is this:

"Our Shadowtrooper Armour does NOT require polishing creams, glue guns or any DIY products and is NOT a 'Kit'. ]All of the work from preparation through to completion has been done for you. All you do is put the costume on, it really is that easy." Armor kits are rarely "one size fits all", and depending on your body type, different makers may be recommended to ensure you get something that is going to work for you.

Also, it's worth a mention that if you're keen on trying to put it together yourself, you can shave a decent chunk off that price tag by going with a kit from a vetted, state-side maker.

Definitely check out the link DeafTrooper provided. That's the Spec Ops Detachment, and home of the Shadow Trooper, amongst others. You can find lots of valuable info, build threads, resources, etc on getting Shadow armor or putting together a kit yourself.

If you have any questions, feel free to give me a shout here or at trooper60609@gmail.com

Good luck with your project!
[image redacted by Resistance forces]
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

CT/ID-7859
stasz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by stasz »

I honestly can't see enough detail in the pictures on that site to say much else about it. It looks ill fitting on the model, the abdomen buttons are the wrong color, the armor parts seem disproportionate to each other...

I would venture a guess that there has been discussion about that very kit on the Spec Ops forum. The best advice I can give at this point is research research research and ask lots of questions before you drop cash on something. I spent longer researching my Biker Scout build than I did actually building it :)
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

If I'm not mistaken, I think stormtrooper-shop are recasters, pirating other people's props.
CT/ID-7859
LeonardTheTurtle

Thank you all for the quick replies. I look forward to putting together my build!
DeafTrooper
GLG Mart Greeter
GLG Mart Greeter

Post by DeafTrooper »

Not a problem. We have our own vendors that sell kits on our various forums who have very good reputations. No need to go to a lot of these web sites that are usually run by shady individuals.
CT/ID-7859
Coads

Post by Coads »

DeafTrooper wrote:Not a problem. We have our own vendors that sell kits on our various forums who have very good reputations. No need to go to a lot of these web sites that are usually run by shady individuals.
Is there a list of these shady websites that should be avoided? I'm thinking that would be pretty useful to folks.
stasz
GLG Member
GLG Member

Post by stasz »

Coads wrote: Is there a list of these shady websites that should be avoided? I'm thinking that would be pretty useful to folks.
You'll find discussion around reputable (and irreputable) makers on the detachment boards (the links provided earlier). Generally speaking, when you see tag lines like "501st Approved!" that's a red flag. No armor is guaranteed approved or endorsed or manufactured by the Legion. There are however, many makers whose armor has been consistently approved when built to the standards laid out in the Costume Reference Libraries.

The detachments are the experts. Again, it's not an endorsement of particular makers so much as a maker having a proven track record of quality product and good customer service.